5-Minute CRISTA Camps Crafts: Beaded Pipe Cleaner Dragonflies
April 22, 2020
Get crafty and enjoy making these dragonflies with your entire family. Every age can participate, especially when older kids help their younger siblings.
Watch how we do it and then follow the directions below!
- 3 pipe cleaners (sparkly or regular)
- 11 plastic pony beads
- 2 small googly eyes
- Crafter’s tape
- Fold one of the pipe cleaners in half.
- Add about 10 plastic pony beads onto the pipe cleaner half, leaving about 1 inch of piper cleaner showing at the folded end.
- Take one of the other pipe cleaners and shape it into a circle, crossing over the ends by about 1/2 inch.
- Twist the ends over the pipe cleaner circle so they are secure and somewhat hidden. You’ll have a continuous circle shape.
- Push the top and bottom of the circle inwards until they meet. You don’t have to twist them yet because we’ll do that in the next step. You just want to make sure the wings are shaped evenly before you slide them onto the dragonfly’s body.
- Slide the “wings” onto the dragonfly’s body (just like sliding a ring onto a finger) and center them so the wings are even on each side. Then twist the wings two times as close to the body as you can get (while pinching the middle to hold it all in place.).
- Next, flip it over and twist the wings twice on the other side (while pinching in the middle to hold it in place.).
- Take the third and final pipe cleaner and cut about 2 inches off from the end.
- Take the longer pipe cleaner piece and cross over the ends by about ½ inch to make another circle.
- Just as before, twist the ends over the pipe cleaner circle so they are secure and somewhat hidden and you have a pipe cleaner circle shape.
- And again pinch the top and bottom of the circle together to make the wing shape (but don’t twist it yet).
- Just as with the first set of wings, slide the body through the center of the center of the smaller set of wings, then carefully twist the wings tightly on both sides of the body to hold them in place. The smaller set of wings should be closer to the dragonfly’s tail.
- Bend and shape the pipe cleaners, so they are even shaped like wings.
- Slide the final pony bead onto the dragonfly’s body, so it lies on the head side of the wings.
- Pinch the two loose ends of the dragonfly body together and carefully roll them into a spiral to make the dragonfly’s head.
- Finally, you can add your two small googly eyes. If you don’t have any self-adhesive googly eyes, use crafter’s tape to attach them.
And your beaded pipe cleaner dragonfly is done! Repeat the steps in different colors to make your dragonfly family!